What do we often give people when we are trying to cheer them up, make them feel better, or help them celebrate a special occasion? The answer is flowers. From time unmemorable people have chosen to give flowers as a gesture of good will, kindness, or comfort. We celebrate everything from birthdays to weddings with flowers, and flowers are the go-to gift to brighten a hospital or sickroom.
With all the technology and fancy innovations available to us in the 21st century, what is it that compels human beings to still rely on sharing that simplest of time-honored gifts and what effect do flowers have on feng shui? The answers to these questions lie deep within our subconscious.
- Flowers have an immediate impact on happiness. All study participants expressed “true” or “excited” smiles upon receiving flowers, demonstrating extraordinary delight and gratitude. This reaction was universal, occurring in all age groups.
- Flowers have a long-term positive effect on moods. Specifically, study participants reported feeling less depressed, anxious and agitated after receiving flowers, and demonstrated a higher sense of enjoyment and life satisfaction.
- Flowers make intimate connections. The presence of flowers led to increased contact with family and friends.
Common sense tells us that flowers make us happy,” said Dr. Haviland-Jones. “Now, science shows that not only do flowers make us happier than we know, they have strong positive effects on our emotional well being.”
Some uses for flowers in feng shui are as follows:
- In the front yard to welcome residents and guests alike. Your spirits should rise when you arrive home. Flowers can brighten up a dull exterior while brightening your emotions.
- In the entry/foyer for the same reason as above. Flowers (either fresh cut or potted) will help create a positive first impression.
- In an office setting to bring nature into a predominantly man-made space and raise employee morale.
Balance the Color in a Room with Flowers
Flowers can also help balance the colors in a room. For rooms that are predominantly white, add bright red flowers. For blue rooms, add yellow. Green rooms should have white flowers. Red rooms look amazing with dark blue flowers, and yellow or earth-tone rooms look pretty with flowers that have large leaves and green hues.