Asian culture, as well as many others, look to the New Year as a very important time to make significant changes in their lives. The purpose of feng shui is to create the most optimal environment possible in order to provide a foundation for positive energy flow in your life. One thing that feng shui has taught me well is to embrace change. When done properly, feng shui helps propel you towards life experiences that are always bigger and better. Below I’ve outlined some very important steps to help you make this year your best yet.
1. Let go of what no longer serves you. It can be people, places, or things that have ceased to bring you joy. Sometimes relationships, places, and things that once held joy and meaning lose their luster and even become detrimental to our well-being.
In order to have healthy, loving relationships, you must heal or end toxic relationships with partners, friends, or family members. While this process can be painful, it is also one of the healthiest things you can do for your continued growth and well-being.
Your affinity with places can change too. Homes and environments where you may have once felt happy and comfortable may now make you feel stagnant, uneasy and frustrated. Any constant feeling of discomfort, whether it is with a specific person or place, signifies that a change is necessary in order to feel happier and more fulfilled.
Objects that you once loved may now be just taking up space and cluttering up your home and your life. If you don’t need it, want it, or love it, toss it!
2. Space clear your home. All the feng shui in the world won’t help if your space has old, stuck residual energy. Over time, buildings absorb and radiate the energy of people or events that have taken place there. An indicator of stuck energy is feeling uneasy, drained, exhausted, unfocused or depressed when you’re in a particular space. It is very hard to move forward in your life when you are surrounded by stuck or negative energy in your home or workplace. Fortunately you can shift that energy by performing a space clearing.
A space clearing is not difficult to do. The best way I’ve personally found to clear a space is by using sound. In chapter 8 of my book, Feng Shui that Makes Sense, I go into detail explaining the science behind space clearing with sound and how to perform a clearing on your home. Energy chimes are a simple, very effective tool that anyone can use to free the building of negative or stagnant energy that may have accumulated there. Once the old energy has been removed, you will feel fresher and freer to move forward with the positive things you’d like to accomplish in your life. You can purchase the energy chimes for only $28 by clicking here. They are easy to use and come with a set of instructions. If you want to kick your life into high gear, there’s nothing like a space clearing to get the ball rolling. I clear my own house about every two to three weeks in order to keep the energy upbeat and positive.
3. Get clear on what you’d like to improve in your life. It’s pretty difficult to achieve a goal if you don’t have a clear idea of what your goal is. One of the best ways to clarify what is and isn’t working in your life is to take my Life Assessment Inventory. This quiz is in my book and you can also take it by clicking here. The Life Assessment Inventory is set up to help you figure out what is and isn’t working in your life and what feng shui steps you need to make in order to improve it.
4. Create a vision board to support your efforts. Once you’ve de-cluttered, space cleared, and discovered what is and isn’t working in your life, it’s time to create a vision board to support your goals. Click here to find out how to create an effective vision board to get you started on the right track.
5. Never, never, never give up! Sure, all of the above takes time and effort to achieve, but if you are truly committed to changing your life for the better, there are no better ways to get you started than these important steps. Once you do this you’ll find just as I have, that the energy you put into changing your life will pay off in amazing ways you may have never dreamed of!
A New Year is a blank canvas to create the changes in your life that you’ve always wanted. Feng shui is a powerful and effective way to help you create an environment that nurtures and supports your efforts. Do something today that your future self will thank you for!
copyright 2014, Cathleen McCandless, ALL rights reserved