Many of us make resolutions for the new year with the hope and intention that things in our lives will somehow improve. In order to help you identify what is, and is not working in your life, I have developed a questionnaire that I call The Life Assessment Inventory. This questionnaire will help you narrow down and prioritize what you feel needs to be improved most in your life. Once you have identified these areas, you can use the energy of feng shui to help you make improvements and reach your goals.
In feng shui, different areas of life (known as Life Aspiration Areas) correspond to areas in the home based on the compass directions. Each area has an element (water, wood, fire, earth and metal) associated with it. Much like acupuncture for a building, placing the elements in their proper locations can help bring more energy to various aspects of your life.
First, rate the answers to each question, then look to see what Life Aspiration Area, compass direction, and elements need to be added or removed in order to bring more positive energy into your life.
Life Assessment Inventory
Rate each question with a number value using the following scale:
Very Dissatisfied 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Very Satisfied
- Do you feel respected by the people in your personal life?
- Do you feel respected by the people in your professional life?
- Are you satisfied with your romantic life?
- If you have children, do you have a good relationship with them?
- Do you have time and space for creative activities?
- Are you able to travel as much as you would like?
- Is your social life as active as you wish?
- Do you have people you can count on when you need them?
- Do you find your current occupation emotionally satisfying?
- Do you feel that your life has meaning and purpose?
- Do you take time to learn new things?
- Do you nurture yourself spiritually as much as you would like?
- Do you take time out for rest and relaxation?
- How are your relationships with your childhood family members?
- If you’ve created a family of your own as an adult, would you say that it’s a happy household?
- How do you feel about your current financial situation?
- Is your standard of living at a level that is satisfying to you?
- Do you have a steady income?
- Do you enjoy good health?
- Does everyone living in your home enjoy good health?
Now, go back and circle all the numbers that have a value of five or lower. These numbers indicate which Life Aspiration Areas you need to energize the most. If several questions received a value of five or lower, choose the area with the lowest score and focus on that one first.
Below, I’ve indicated which questions relate to each Life Aspiration Area, what area of the home these qualities area associated with, and a suggestion of what to add in each location to improve the energy in the corresponding part of your life.
Questions Life Aspiration Area/Direction
1, 2 Fame and Reputation /South
Turn on a light in the south for at least 3
hours per day. Avoid water in this area.
3 Love & Partnership/Southwest
Add items made of rock or stone in the
southwest. Minimize live plants there.
Items grouped in “pairs” are good to add in the southwest.
4, 5 Creation/West
Add things made of metal in the west.
Wind chimes, metal picture frames, metal
furniture are good here. Avoid burning
things like candles and fireplaces here if possible.
6, 7, 8 Synchronicity/Northwest
For a better social life or more travel,
place metal items in the northwest. The
same suggestions for the creation/west
section apply to this area as the main
element for both areas is metal.
9, 10 Career/North
Add a tabletop fountain in the north. The
fountain should be flowing 24/7
(unless you go out of town for more than
24 hours.) Filtered water is best for the
fountain to avoid excessive mineral deposits.
Try to minimize rock and stone
in the north if possible.
11, 12, 13 Knowledge/Northeast
Add items made of ceramic, rock or stone. Try to
avoid placing a lot of large live plants
in the northeast.
14, 15 Family/East
Add healthy, growing plants and try to
avoid items made of metal.
16, 17, 18 Wealth & Prosperity/Southeast
Add healthy plants and try to avoid metal in the
19, 20 Health/Center
Add items made of rock or stone in the
center of the home. Amethyst is a stone
associated with health and healing, and is a good
choice for this area. Avoid placing
live plants here and keep the area free of
This is just a brief introduction to how the Life Aspiration Areas, the compass directions, and the five elements work together to energize your home and your life. As with all things in life, you can’t just sit back and wait for feng shui to do it all for you. You must put forth the effort it will take to create positive change and get the results you are looking for. However, feng shui can certainly give your efforts an energetic boost. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
If you’d like to learn more about this, or any other aspect of feng shui, take one of my excellent classes, or contact me for feng shui consultation for your home or business.