Do you feel rejuvenated, nurtured, and inspired by your home?
If any of the answers to that question are “no”, it is time to take a careful look at what is going on in the front of your home. First impressions are lasting impressions, and it is very important that you make sure that the front of your home is pleasing, and evokes feelings of happiness, pride, and security when you come home.
If you feel depressed, irritated, and exhausted when you get home, start your Feng Shui improvements in the front yard. Here are ten tips to get you started. Once you have the front of your home in order, you can face anything that awaits you on the other side of the door with a much more positive attitude!
1. Weed, trim, and fertilize all plants. Spring is the time when plants want to grow, so fertilize them now to keep them in top form for the coming weeks.
2. If there is any paint on the house that is chipping or cracking, take some touch-up paint and tackle those areas. Just like removing a scuff from a shoe, your home will look newer and fresher.
3. Buy flats of happy colored flowers and plant them in pots, in the flower beds and along the edges of sidewalks. Flowers are a beautiful, easy way to bring happiness and uplifting feelings when you get home.
4. Power wash the dirty, dusty areas on the front of the home, the garage door, window sills, and rafters. Get rid of all those cobwebs!
5. If you want to make the front of your house feel like new without spending a lot of money, consider a new front light fixture and hardware for the front door. The new, clean glass and metal will make a huge improvement to your first impression without breaking the bank!
6. Consider planting flowers and plants with lovely scents. Lavender, Lemon geranium, and jasmine are all pleasing flowers.
7. Time to remove anything in the front of the house that bugs you! If you have any clutter, broken items, fences that need mending, places that need patching, roll up your sleeves and take care of it! Instead of feeling irritated when you arrive home, you will be amazed at the peace of mind you will have attained by finally taking care of those things you know need to be done.
8. Only have foliage with soft, rounded leaves. Things that are spiky and pointed make us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Make sure that plants are always in good health and evoke positive feelings.
9. Add fresh ground cover. Pour bags of new bark or river rock on those bare spots between your flowers and plants. It is incredible what an improvement this is, and it is very cost-effective!
10. Don’t put off improving your front yard for another minute! If it isn’t exactly the way you want it, stop making improvements on the inside of the house and tackle the front yard. This way, you will feel excited and uplifted by your home and you will have the energy to follow through with the rest of your home.